Categorising Internet of Things standards, directives etc
Like it? Share it!
We have started collating and categorising the Internet of Things (IoT) related standards to help those who are trying to work with the IoT.
28 July 2021
Communication (how “things” talk to each other)
- Ethernet IEEE 802.3
- WIFI IEEE 802.11
- ZigBee now called the Connectivity Standards Alliance https://csa-iot.org/
- Z-Wave uses a source-routed mesh network architecture and the 868.40, 868.42, 869.85 MHz band Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology standard used for exchanging data between fixed and mobile devices over short distances using UHF radio waves in the ISM bands, from 2.402 GHz to 2.48 GHz, and building personal area networks (PANs). It was originally conceived as a wireless alternative to RS-232 data cables. The IEEE standardized Bluetooth as IEEE 802.15.1, but no longer maintains the standard. The Bluetooth SIG oversees the development of the specification
- BS PD 6669:2017: Guidance for the provision of Alarm Transmission Systems (ATS) for Alarm Systems in the UK
Security (how we keep that communication private and secure)
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013 – is an international standard on how to manage information security.
- BS 50710 – Remote servicing
- British Security Industry Association Cyber Security Code of Practice
- Cyber secure it Best Practice Guidelines for Connected Security Systems
- National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) – provides support for the public and private sector in how to avoid cybersecurity threats.
- BS PD 6669:2017 – Guidance for the provision of Alarm Transmission Systems (ATS) for Alarm Systems in the UK
- CLC/TC 79 will soon open the formal vote on Technical Specification (TS) 50136-10 with requirements for secure remote access to alarm systems. This TS is intended to become a generic standard (covering FDAS, FFFS, I&HAS, EACS, SAS, VSS) and should complement EN 50710 with the requirements on the remote access infrastructure.
- ETSI EN 303 645 – provides cybersecurity requirements for consumer IoT devices
Things (devices\equipment that want to communicate) e.g., EN 54
- EN 14604:2005+AC:2008 – Smoke Alarm Devices
- BS 5446-2:2003 – Specification for Heat Alarms
- EN 50291-1:2018 – Detection of Carbon Monoxide in Domestic properties.
- BS 5446-4:2020 – Multisensor Fire Alarm standard
Management (soft services monitoring)
- BS 8644-1 – Digital management of fire safety information. Part 1: Design, construction, handover, asset management and emergency response - Code of practice
- BS 50710 – Remote servicing
- BS 5830 – allows digital records
- BS EN ISO19650 – Building Information Modelling
- BSI working on a version of 90001 – 990001 for QA of built environment.
Other – can make separate ones like general etc
- Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC) low voltage directive – Directive 2014/30/EU
- RED (Euralarm)
- BS 5839-1 – Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings. Code of practice for design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of systems in non-domestic premises
- BS 5839-6 – Fire detection and fire alarm systems for buildings. Code of practice for the design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of fire detection and fire alarm systems in domestic premises
If you would like to send any suggestions or amendments to this page, please email Adam Richardson, FIA Business Liaison.
Memorandum of Association
01 September 2022
April 2021 - Six Employment Law Changes.pdf
09 April 2021