How to take an FIA online Qualification exam
Here is everything you need to know about how to take an FIA online Qualification exam.
Must-haves to take an online Qualification exam.
- Access to a Laptop or PC
(Or two tablets)
- A stable internet connection
(A wired connection to the internet/ router is preferable. A Wi-Fi connection may be sufficient, but please check the signal strength and speed beforehand).
- Chrome Browser - If you do not already have it you can download it from here
- Photographic ID (Drivers License, Passport, or work ID)
- Calculator (Not on a smartphone, tablet, or PC)
- Blank note paper
- Pen or Pencil
NOTE: It can sometimes be beneficial to operate with two screens or two separate devices during the exam. This will allow the exam to be viewed on one screen or device, whilst using the alternate screen or device for exam invigilation via Zoom. This same technique can also be used during open book exams to display zoom & the British Standards on one screen, whilst using the alternate screen to access the exam.
NOTE: Please do not attempt to use a single tablet or mobile phone for both Zoom (to allow exam invigilation) and to access the exam website. This can cause issues with the webcam operation and affect exam invigilation, the result being that we may need to postpone your exam. Please make sure that you are familiar with your hardware/ software configuration beforehand.
When you book onto the course, your examination will naturally follow at the end of that course.
If you are unsuccessful during the exam at the end of the course, you will be eligible for a re-sit.
To book a re-sit, please follow the steps provided below:
How do our online exams work?
- Book your online exam re-sit here.
- Select and click on the correct course for a convenient date and time.
- You will need to log into the FIA website if you have not already done so.
(If you have not registered with the FIA previously, please register for online access)
- Enter your full name and ULN number.
- Several hours before the exam, the delegates will receive an email to join a Zoom meeting at a specified time, to allow the delegate to be invigilated (Zoom meeting invite).
- The email will also include a link to the exam platform which must be opened using the Google Chrome web browser (Chrome Link).
- Delegates should ensure that they can open the exam link within the Google Chrome browser and also access the meeting via the Zoom meeting invite.
- The FIA invigilators will allow the delegates entry into the Zoom meeting.
- The FIA invigilators will explain how the exam will work and answer any questions.
- The FIA invigilators will share the login and password details with delegates allowing them to take the exam.
- The Exam begins
Requirements and Rules!
- Most exams are closed-book exams and no reference material is allowed to be accessed during it - The exception is the Fundamentals in FD&A exam where you will require a copy of BS 5839-1 or BS 5839-6 to take part.
- Delegates will be required to show photographic ID prior to an exam.
- Each delegate will be required to use a camera/webcam to allow the invigilators to watch you take the exam.
- A web camera is required to take part and will need to be able to be used to show the area where the exam is taking place.
- If the connection is lost to a delegate, reconnection needs to be achieved as quickly as possible to avoid postponement of the exam (support telephone numbers will be available).
- If lost connection accounts for more than 10 minutes of any exam then it will be deemed a failure and need to be retaken.
- All exam sessions will be recorded so the exam sessions can be reviewed.
- You are allowed a calculator and one blank bit of paper to use during the exam for any working out you need to do. This will need to be shown to the camera after the exam for invigilation purposes when requested.
- If at any time a delegate is seen to deviate from any of the above or is deemed to be “cheating” in relation to the exam, they will be given two warnings by the invigilator; should the delegate deviate in the same manner again, it will be considered as a failed exam.