Like it? Share it!
30 August 2019
Residents at a property in Bristol have been evicted with 'just hours' to collect their belongings after an inspection found numerous fire safety failings that put them at risk.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the eviction was carried out as they believed there was a serious risk to those living at the building.
Karl Venn, technical fire safety station manager, said, "Following a joint inspection with Bristol City Council on Thursday 15 August and a full fire audit, we issued a restriction notice under Article 31 of the Fire Safety Order on 57 Prince Street.
"This was issued due to the serious risk posed to those residing in the building which restricted sleeping and resting on any of the four floors of HMO."
He explained that the common areas of the building had 'numerous fire safety failinings', which caused an increased risk at night.
The risks were so high, according to Karl, that the restriction notice was the only choice they had. As the leaseholder offered little cooperation to find a solution to the problem, the eviction notice was the only option.
"Due to the lack of cooperation and persons breaching the restriction notice, we have no other option but to work with the police and Bristol City Council to issue a further prohibition notice," he said.
"This notice prohibits any persons from entering into the building unless they are carrying out remedial works to address the fire safety failings.
"We have looked in-depth at how the premises could be adapted to prevent people from being evicted. However, we believe there is no other option at this stage.
"We have endeavoured to work with the leaseholder to minimise risk and disruption to residents and this is a last resort based on continuous work."
24 September 2020
24 September 2020
24 October 2019
16 September 2019