Like it? Share it!
BSI has just published BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021 Code of practice for the operation of fire protection measures. Part 4: Actuation of release mechanisms for doors. Part 4: Actuation of release mechanisms for doors
What is BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021 about?
This is the fourth in a five-part series of British Standards giving recommendations on how fire protection measures should operate. Part 4 (this part) deals with the mechanisms for opening doors that form part of the means of escape in a fire. BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021 is the first amendment to the 2015 version of this standard.
Who is BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021 for?
- Fire detection and fire alarm designers
- Fire alarm manufacturers and installers
- Enforcing authorities including building control bodies and fire and rescue
- Mechanical and electrical contractors
- Property managers
- Gas, lift and fire safertengineers and consultants
- Fire risk assessors
What’s new about BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021?
This is an amendment to BS 7273-4:2015 , prompted by research that identified the potential for confusion between red break glass call points and door release units on electronically locked doors, leading to unwanted alarms.
- Supplies recommendations to resolve this issue
- Provides clarity on when a door may be secured with a panic bar, also known as a panic latch
- Makes it clear that in some circumstances, such as in care homes catering for residents who are living with dementia, the normal green break glass might, subject to a risk assessment, be omitted or subject to a variation in siting