Like it? Share it!
10 September 2021
BSI has just published BS 5839-9:2021, which is now available for purchase from the FIA e-shop. Please log in to get the member's discount. Details of the FIA new training course related to this standard will be published soon.
What is BS 5839-9:2021 about?
BS 5839-9:2021 provides recommendations on the design, install and maintenance of emergency voice communication (EVC) systems. It also includes recommendations for users and premises management who have day-to-day responsibility for the system.
It relates to the use of EVC systems in communicating with people in refuges, with fire wardens, fire marshals, firefighters and with stewards at sporting events during an emergency situation, in and around buildings.
Who is BS 5839-9:2021 for?
- Premises management
- Building control officers
What does BS 5839-9:2021 cover?
It gives recommendations for the planning, design, installation, commissioning, and maintenance of emergency voice communication (EVC) systems, and covers systems with components linked by wires, wirelessly, or a combination of both.
Why should you use BS 5839-9:2021?
- Its use can ensure that high standards of reliability, safety, and security are achieved, together with acceptable standards of performance
- It provides guidance on the design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of systems
- It give details of the user’s responsibilities
- It gives guidance on how to install an effective EVC system as part of a fire safety strategy
What’s new about BS 5839-9:2021?
This revision updates and replaces BS 5839-9:2011. It incorporates key changes which reflect up-to-date industry practice.
03 August 2020