10 July 2015
A Birmingham landlord has been handed fines totalling £19,418 after it was found an HMO under his ownership had no fire alarms or display notices indicating escape routes.
The owner, Mr Amrik Singh Gill, had also failed to apply for an HMO licence and ensure that there were adequate water and drainage systems.
Birmingham City Council’s cabinet member for neighbourhood management and homes, John Cotton, said: “A tenant living in bedsit accommodation such as this property is almost 17 times more likely to be killed in a fire than an adult living in a similar single-occupancy house.
“It is because of these shocking statistics that HMO licensing exists and officers carry out checks to ensure the safety of tenants.
“Mr Gill not only provided his tenants with what can only be described as shoddy accommodation, he also put his tenants’ lives at risk and I welcome the fine imposed by Birmingham Magistrates Court.”
22 August 2017
18 August 2017
16 August 2017