18 June 2014

Guests at the Grand Hotel in Folkestone were evacuated when a fire broke out in an electrical cupboard in the basement.

Three crews from Folkestone, Hythe and Dover were called out to the hotel at 18:55pm last night (17 June).

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched the hotel to confirm there was no vertical fire spread in the eight floor building.

They helped guests evacuate the building and assisted a lady who required precautionary checks by ambulance crews, who also attended the scene.

Firefighters tackled the fire with a dry powder extinguisher.

Crews remained to ventilate the building, leaving the incident at 22.30pm when guests were allowed to reenter the building.

A spokesman for Kent Fire said that the fire was believed to have been started by an electrical fault.

Commercial buildings, non-domestic and multi-occupancy premises in England and Wales are already forced to undertake a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment carried out under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

While the overwhelming majority of premises do this, if the assessment is thought to have been carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or up to two years in prison.